Sunday 25 February 2018

Look Good Concealed with your Stoma

I am a fan of concealing everything and especially with 2021 being here.  The majority of us are now staying at home due to local state-mandated stay-at-home laws and they are not going anywhere.  We are getting outside less frequently but many states do allow individuals to go outside for exercise and to visit parks.  I myself try to visit a local park at the very least once a week.  When you go out and it is now a really big deal to go out, everyone wants to look their best.  In this case, if you are going to a local park then you will most likely be a little more active than your normal routine of staying at home or working from home.  So in order to keep your ostomy supplies on your body safe, you want to dress well and also be able to essentially hide it with your clothing and that is how you look good too. 



We all know you don't have to hide your ostomy bag but it is nice to look good. There is literally nothing to be ashamed of or even self-conscious about. But it is nice to keep it out of sight and out of mind when you are going outside to enjoy the scenery.  The last thing you want to think about is what you are wearing.  Those thoughts are for self-conscious you in high school.  So instead just get the right clothing to keep your Ostomy supplies tucked away.  



There are some really awesome ways to look trim and slim.  A great tool you can use is a bag that has belt loops on it.  This is useful because you can get an ostomy belt that is meant to keep your bag close to your body.  I find there are many belts that are specifically designed to be comfortable and not cause any irritations with your body.  There is nothing worse than creating rashes or extra skin problems due to having an item work well.  So I suggest trying several out to make sure they work with your body.  I have created lots of sores on my body due to being outside too long with the wrong product and that is not a very comfortable situation.  It takes my body a few weeks to heal a sore area that blistered and scabs over.  For me, that is several weeks that I am not able to go outside and be as active as I would like and that is simply not acceptable.  So go out, be safe and get the right gear for you to have fun outdoors.


But you have to make sure you are also using the things outdoors that will indeed keep you safe.  I also use a stoma guard on all my trips or super active outings.  I like it because I know I can fall, hit something, or just take some damage without hurting my stoma or bag. That is really a mental peace of mind when you are able to do this.  I love having that safety net and it keeps me from worrying about really much when I am out and about.  I can climb, hike and simply enjoy life. So don't take life too seriously look good, stay trim, and hidden. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking Care of Your Skin When You Have A Stoma

When you have a stoma put in, it’s important to monitor the skin that sits around it. The last thing you want to deal with is any type of ra...